7/12/10

Cake Balls

I read about cake balls on Bakerella (which is amazing) and I wanted to try them. I was kind of pressed for time after making the oreo truffles, though, so I used canned icing and a cake mix for the cake. This pretty much means I have to make it again to do it from scratch.

I wanted to make carrot cake balls, but I only had baker's chocolate to make the outer shell, and I thought chocolate carrot cake would be weird. I planned to use vanilla instead and had even found some vanilla coating wafers online, but when I called Whole Foods to see if they carried them, I just confused the person I talked to ("I'm looking for melting chocolate...but vanilla?") so I gave up on that plan.

Instead, I decided to use banana cake for the center, and finish off the semisweet chocolate I had used for my oreo truffles.


Since I was rushing a little to get them done, I stuck the cake in the freezer to cool it before I crumbled it. In this picture, I'm about to mix it with canned cream cheese icing.


Little balls of cake! I don't think you can tell from the picture, but they're actually a lot bigger than the oreo truffles. I put them in the freezer for a while because the cake tends to fall apart when you dip it in chocolate unless it's frozen together.


Finished product! Sprinkles are so much fun.


And the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment